After crossing the river Nidd you get to a small village called Hardcastle Garth. It is described in Hartwith-cum-Winsley in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard. This place was in hands of the Hardcastle' family for about 400 years until 1850. Hardcastle Garth was bought by Robert Hardcastle of Hardcastle Garth and his son Christopher from Sir Ingilby of Ripley Castle in about 1574. Hardcastle Garth was a fouvorite meeting-place of the "Quaker"-movement.
Origin and Yorkshire Settlement
The Hardcastle' family appears to have been originated from Northumberland and Durham in Saxon times. The family originally owned a very ancient tower in the neighbourhood of the "Hadrian's Wall" from which they first took their name. The literal meaning of Hardcastell originates from the Latin word "Castellum", which means castle or tower. This name existed in counties of Northumberland and Durham before 1358.
During the Scottish raids in the 13th century the family fled south and settled in Nidderdale in Yorkshire. "Fountains Abbey" was searching tenants for their granges. Family Hardcastle went to life on a grange in Bewerley (on the hill between Pateley Bridge and Greenhow Hill, near the source of the river Nidd). This grange has derived it's name from the Hardcastle' family as this family-name existed before the first mention of this grange. The first person mentioned there was Richard de Hardcastell in 1358. The name de Hardcastell indicates that Richard came from a place called Hardcastell.